Have you ever heard of STEM? STEM refers to the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics of curriculum. STEM is a great way to teach kids of all ages. It allows them to use their imagination as well as other operations of learning, all while having fun!
15 STEM Activities for Preschoolers
- Gears – experiment with different gears and how they operate.
- Peg Boards – These help kids with color recognition, sorting and counting.
- Sorting toys – There are many different ones that can help with colors, numbers, shapes, and more.
- Mixing and Measuring – weather with a toy or just by working in the kitchen.
- Sand and Water Table – by one or make one! You can simply use two low height bins 0 one for water and one for sand. Give them some cups for measuring and pouring too.
- Building Blocks – From basic wood, to plastic, and all shapes and types, building sets allow for exploration in spatial relationships, eye hand coordination, and more.
- Marble Run/Maze Toys – you can buy these in wood or plastic and can even make them with pool noodles! Simply cut pool noodles in half the long way and use duct tape to tape them together. Start them up on a chair, wind them around, and off you go!
- Cash Register – a toy cash register and money is great for money and counting and kids love to play store!
- A Balance – kids can find out how things weigh and compare the results using a balance
- Kitchen Scale – Get a basic kitchen scale and let you kids weigh objects in your home. They can see which things weigh more or less!
- Abacus – with an abacus kids can learn simple math skills, patterns, and sequencing.
- Microscope – how about a kids microscope to let them explore the science world around them, up close!
- Pattern Blocks – they can create larger shape using their imagination or follow the given patterns to create fun patterns and images.
- Puzzles – All shapes and sizes allow for hand eye coordination
- Life Cycle Kits – watch a caterpillar turn into a butterfly, raise a ladybug from larvae or raise a tadpole into a frog.