Throughout all the years I have spent with my children, one of the many things we have always done is to make things at Christmastime. Homemade gifts, decorations, and ornaments are always fun to make and create a very personal and meaningful touch to the holiday.
Button Wreath Ornament Craft
What I love about this craft is that even younger kids can participate using slight variations. You can make these big or small and in any colors you choose! It makes each one unique!
- buttons in any colors you choose (for younger kids you can use bigger buttons that have larger holes)
- crafting wire or pipe cleaners (Depending on the size of your buttons and the age of the kids you can use a variety of things to string the buttons together.)
- Make a small loop at one end of the wire or pipe cleaner.
- Thread the buttons onto the wire or pipe cleaner until you have enough to form the size of the wreath you want. (9 inch lengths of wire or pipe cleaners make nice sized ornaments.)
- Bend the plain end of the wire or pipe cleaner around the looped end. This will form the wreath.
- Use the ribbon to make a loop for hanging the wreath; tie the ribbon in a knot about 3 inches above the wreath.
- Tie a bow from a separate piece of ribbon to decorate the wreath.
You can easily choose to do these in Christmas colors like red, white, green, gold, silver, etc. or make fun and funky ones with any colors you choose. My kids like to make ones of the colors of favorite NFL teams or the colors of the sports teams they play for. As gifts they might make a Christmas themed one or one that incorporates the favorite colors of the person receiving it as a gift.