Engineering challenges are a great way for your child to get creative while learning scientific principles. Boats in particular are versatile because there are many types of challenges you can try with them. You’ll be amazed at how many solutions your child can come up with. Here’s how it works:
What you’ll need:
- Styrofoam or plastic plates and cups
- Large container
- Some coins
What to do:
- A great way to go about this is to have to separate challenges. The first is to simply build a boat that can float with the materials provided. The second is to create a boat that can carry coins and still stay afloat.
- Fill your container with water to create a nice, big “ocean” to test your boats in. If you’d like you can even add some blue food coloring to it.
- Have your child get to work on building their boat. They could make two separate ones for the different parts of the challenge, or build one that work for both.
- Test out the boats. If they don’t work, let your child explore different solutions until they figure out what works.