The best experiments are those that are easy to set up, fun, and still very educational. Candy science experiments tend to have all of those qualities and generally provide a tasty snack along the way (which is definitely a bonus)! This particular experiment involves using Skittles to make a sugar solution and observing the way sugar will dissolve in water. It’s super simple! Check it out:
What you need:
- A dish
What to do:
- Pour some water into the dish. You don’t need a ton, but you want enough to just about cover the Skittles.
- Place a few Skittles in the dish. Be sure to spread them out evenly to give them space to dissolve.
- Watch carefully! The ‘S’ on each Skittle will quickly disappear. Then, the colors on the Skittles will dissolve into the water and eventually mix together.
- Before you know it, the Skittles themselves will completely disappear, leaving behind a colorful sugar solution.
- Feel free to do this as many times as you like! It can be fun to try out different color combinations and experiment with different water temperatures.
Have fun! Don’t forget to check out SD Accelerate’s free trial!