Density can be a difficult concept to explain. It’s a concept that really needs to be demonstrated visually. Luckily, an experiment to demonstrate density isn’t too hard to pull off. This quick and easy homeschool science activity is perfect for improving your child’s comprehension of density. Here’s how it works:
What you need:
- Vegetable oil
- A series of small objects
- Glass or other clear container
What to do:
- Pour some water into the glass. Very slowly and carefully, pour the same amount of vegetable oil into the glass.
- Carefully drop a couple of small objects into the glass and watch. Different objects will settle at different levels within the glass.
- Check out what happens if you shake the glass, or see how many different levels you can get objects to float on.