Reasons Why Curriculum Might Not Be For You
While I find myself to be more curriculum based, that is not a hard and fast line for us. As the years go on I find myself modifying, altering, and changing things as we go. Here are a few things I have seen that might mean curriculum is not for you.
- You don’t follow a strict schedule – If you are more free flowing and less schedule oriented it can be difficult to keep the flow of a curriculum. With lots of time and space between lessons and chapters it can be hard to keep the connections between them going.
- Your Child Cannot Sit Still – When my son was younger it was difficult for him to sit for more than a few minutes at a time. For this reason we did everything in little bits and pieces instead of chunks.
- You Want to Incorporate All Subjects Together - When using curriculum it is using for one subject at a time, therefore if you want to integrate multiple subjects that flow together you cannot use a curriculum for this. I am not saying there are not curricula to accommodate this, but in general it is one subject per curriculum.
- You Have a Small Budget – Often times curriculum can be pricey and may be out of reach for your budget. There are tons of free alternatives on the Internet that you can use instead. Again I am not saying small budget means no curriculum it is just more difficult. You may have to buy used, or pick and choose.
- You Want To Follow Their Lead – You may want to take your learning where it takes you. For instance your child might want to spend months learning about Knights and Castles, or you may get lost in the human body. Needing to follow a curriculum does not allow for this.