What activity is more classic and fun in the summertime than making s’mores? This activity adds in a little scientific learning to make eating s’mores even more satisfying! Here’s how it works:
What you need:
- A pizza box
- Aluminum foil
- Permanent marker
- Cling wrap
- Black paper
- S’mores ingredients
What to do:
- Draw a square on the pizza box lid, leaving a one inch border around each side.
- Use the box cutter to cut out three sides of the square. Leave the line at the back of pizza box attached.
- Fold this flap back so that it stands up when the box is closed. Cover the underside of the flap with aluminum foil using glue. Be sure to smooth out the wrinkles and cut off any excess foil.
- Cut a piece of cling wrap large enough to cover the hole and tape it securely on the underside of the whole box lid.
- Close the lid, leaving the flap open, and tape another large piece of cling wrap over the hole. This will help to trap heat in the box. You’ll want to make sure both pieces of cling wrap are pulled taut when you tape them.
- Glue or tape a layer of aluminum foil on the bottom of the inside of the box. On top of this layer, glue the black paper.
- On a sunny day, take your box outside. Close the lid. Leave the flap open, propping it up at an angle that best reflects the sunlight into the box.
- Let your oven preheat in direct sunlight for 30 minutes. Then, place your s’mores inside the box. Remove when the chocolate has adequately melted.