STEM refers to the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics of curriculum. STEM is a great way to teach kids of all ages. It allows them to use their imagination as well as other operations of learning, all while having fun!
Here is a list of some of the fun and engaging STEM apps we use in our homeschool! Their are apps for all ages ranging from games to puzzles and more!
STEM iPad Apps for Kids
- Rocket Solvers - Work and play with your helperbot, DECA, to find three crew members hidden on a mysterious planet! This story driven math game is a great review of addition and subtraction using numbers up to 100 – for kids ages 6 – 9.
- Solar Walk is an educational application about the solar system. It is space accurate and in 3D! This 3D solar system model lets you navigate between planets, see their positions on a specific date, explore how they move and why.
- Rush Hour – This is not only a favorite of ours on the iPad but we also have the physical board game version too! In Rush Hour players must slide small cars around on a grid, moving only forward and backward, to create a path so that the red car can emerge out of this parking lot grid.
- Monster Physics has given my children hours of fun, interactive play! Monster Physics is a building app that lets you play with physics! Build and operate your own car, crane, rocket ship, plane, helicopter, tank, and more! It also comes with missions for you to solve!
- Math Bingo – Kids get to practice their math facts recall through a fun game of Bingo!
- Move the Turtle – for ages 9-11. Move the Turtle teaches children the basics of creating computer programs using intuitive graphic commands.
- Coin Math – Working with money and making change is an often overlooked skill. With coin math your child learns to recognize, count, add and make change with U.S. coins.
- DK The Human Body App – This is a highly visual, accurate look at the human body that offers over 270 full color zoomable high resolution images, 99 story pages, testing, videos, 3D rotatable human body with selectable layers and more!
- Blokus – This is another game that we have in both app form as well as physical board game form. Start with 21 pieces and try to play as many of them as possible by connecting the corners. Just be careful because there are other players that will try to block you! The player with the fewest squares left wins!
- Star Walk allows you to see the night sky in real time! Yup! You get to hold up your iPad and view your present time night sky with the app! It moves with you, allowing you to explore over 200,000 celestial bodies with extensive information about the stars and constellations you find!
Other STEM Related Articles:
- Weather Activities for Young Explorers
- STEM Activities for Elementary Age Kids
- 15 STEM Activities for Preschoolers
- 4 Ways to Use Dice for Math
- 10 Science Shows for Kids