Thanksgiving, like many holidays brings family and friends together. In our house we take the week off from homeschool to spend time together, do fun holiday related crafts and activities and prepare for the holiday festivities. For those preparing the holiday meal things can get a little hectic and stressful. Here are a few Thanksgiving Hacks to Make Your Holiday Easier!
Thanksgiving Hacks to Make Your Holiday Easier
- Cook stuffing in muffins tins to make single serve portions that cook quicker and come out crispier!
- Use crock pots for things like Green Bean Casserole and Mashed Potatoes.
- Cook your turkey in a bag. It cooks in about a third of the time and comes out so much moister with NO basting!
- To make less work for yourself, set up your meal buffet style in the kitchen.
- Make things like pies ahead and freeze them before baking. That way you can do this take a week or two before to minimize on the last minute to do list.
- Running out of oven space and time? Steam your veggies in the dishwasher wrapped in foil.
- To keep kids occupied prepare some activities ahead of time from things like color sheets and fun games to a simple craft activity.
- Have guests help out! Set everything out and have someone set the table for you. This is a great job for an adult and kid team to do together.
My kids have always loved making craft and doing activities that are holiday related, and when there is a great way to show them off, even better! We have loved making and using these toilet paper (or paper towel) roll turkey napkin holders to decorate our holiday table.
Toilet Paper Roll Turkey Craft
- empty toilet paper (or paper towel) roll
- construction paper (orange, yellow, brown, red)
- wiggle eyes
- pipe cleaner
- Cut toilet paper (or paper towel) roll so you have a 2 inch segment
- Use the colored construction paper to cut out a handful of different shaped feathers. Each feather should be between one and two inches long.
- Lay the roll down on it’s side and glue as many feathers as you would like to one side.
- To make the turkey’s head, cut a piece of brown construction paper in the shape of an oval, approximately 2-inches tall by 1-inch wide. Glue it to the toilet paper roll on the opposite side as the feathers.
- Glue wiggles eyes onto your turkey’s head.
- Cut a beak and waddle our of orange and red construction paper and them in place below the google eyes.
- To make feet for your turkey: Start by cutting two 4-inch pieces from an orange pipe cleaner. Fold each pipe cleaner piece into quarters and shape them into a smushed v shape.
- Glue the feet to the front edge of the turkey (the bottom of the roll beneath the head).
- Set aside and let glue dry.
- Add your napkin of choice and place at each table setting to decorate your Thanksgiving table.